Pigeon, Madeira onions and black pudding in crusty bread cases
We think this delicious recipe of sautéed pigeon is a must this Christmas. Crusty bread cases topped with Madeira infused onions topped with a piece of sautéed pigeon with a sprinkle of black pudding crumb.
Makes 24 pieces
6 slices white bread
50 ml olive oil
2 large red onions
Salt and pepper
100g black pudding
2 tsp breadcrumbs
4 skinless pigeon breasts
1. Quarter each slice of bread and remove the crusts
2. Brush each quarter with oil and place each firmly into a compartment on a cupcake baking tray
3. Bake at 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown
4. Finely slice the onions & cook until soft and golden brown. Add the Madeira, season and reduce over a medium heat until little moisture remains
5. Slice the black pudding and fry in a little oil for a couple of minutes on each side
6. Blitz with the breadcrumbs preferably in the food processor to make fine crumbs
7. Put a teaspoon of the onions into each bread case & put them and the crumbs (separately) in a low oven
8. To sauté the pigeon, halve the pigeon breasts lengthways, season and sauté in an oiled, hot pan until medium rare (or how you like it!)
9. Let them rest to cool slightly, then slice.
10. Top each bread case with a pigeon slice and a sprinkling of black pudding crumb
Perfect for a Christmas lunch starter!
thefield.co.uk & Google images