William Powell Country

Have You Got Your Rod Licence?


Article written by 09 August 2012

Over the weekend (4 & 5 August 2012), Environment Agency officers will be on the lookout for rod licence evaders when they carry out a series of checks in Stoke-on-Trent and north Staffordshire.

This activity is part of a series of targeted fisheries operations in the Midlands region, visiting locations where previous checks have uncovered a higher than average rod licence evasion rate.

During a rod licence blitz over the Jubilee bank holiday weekend, officers in the Environment Agency’s Midlands Environmental Crime Team checked 1,417 anglers at known high rod licence evasion hot-spots across the Midlands, and detected 121 offences.

Environmental Crime Officer Andy Roberts said: “Every licence evasion means less money to spend on protecting and improving the nation’s fisheries. Anglers will spend a lot of money on fishing tackle, day tickets, bait and travel, so it is disappointing that they fail to buy a £27 rod licence. At 52p per week it is great value.

“Anglers risk losing their equipment when they avoid buying a licence. They can easily buy one from a Post Office, on-line or by telephone. If anglers sign up to buy their rod licence by direct debit, we will automatically post their new licence each year in time for the new season – there is no excuse.”

To buy a rod licence by direct debit, email us at enquries@environment-agency.gov.uk or call us on 03708 506 506.

Alternatively purchase a rod licence by calling 0844 800 5386 or visiting www.postoffice.co.uk

For more info on ways to pay visit http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/31497.aspx

Illegal fishing can be reported to the Environment Agency hotline on 0800 80 70 60. You can also report illegal fishing and any other information on environmental crime, anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

MORE INFORMATION Contact Jessica Campbell on 0121 711 5855/5829/5842

(these numbers can also be used during an emergency to contact a duty press officer)

Environment Agency

We are an Executive Non-departmental Public Body responsible to the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and a Welsh Government Sponsored Body responsible to the Minister for Environment and Sustainable Development. .. Read more.

Have you got a story or article you’d like to write for us?

Write a piece for William Powell Country, and get in contact with us.